Third quarter figures released late last week by the French regulator ARJEL paint a positive picture of French online gambling, highlighting:
* Online poker overall revenue up 11 percent at Euro 58 million, with cash game handle up 8 percent at Euro 885 million, and cash game revenue up 5 prcent at Euro 22.1 million ….the best growth in the past six years;
* Cash game active players up 12 percent at 68,000;
* Tournament poker fees up 10 percent at Euro 474 million, with revenue up 14 percent at Euro 35.7 million;
* Tournament active players uyp 9 percent;
* Weekly active poker accounts up 8 percent at 228,000, halting the declines of the past four quarters;
* Sports betting handle up 23 percent y-o-y at Euro 549,000, and revenue up 23 percent at Euro 106 million. Football delivered 60 percent of the action;
* Weekly active player numbers up 26 percent at 301,000;
* Horseracing stakes rose 15 percent at Euro 244 million, with revenue up 10 precent at Euro 60 million – the best since market liberalisation in 2010;
* New racing accounts up 15 percent at Euro 127,000;
* Operators cut bonus costs by 9 percent during the quarter.
The regulator remains bullish on future prospects, encouraged by the online poker pool sharing agreements it has entered into with other European regulated jurisdictions.